Thursday, June 27, 2019

You Are Not Your Thoughts

Imagine if somebody told you that you are not who you think you are... that the thoughts in your mind that you have been so accustomed to associating with, are not a representation of who you
really are; that you are far greater than that and access to your life's purpose is right in front of you. How would you react to that?

Years ago, shortly after it was first published, I purchased the book The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle - his first book. I read it, well most of it, and I remember thinking "I got this; I understand." I had no idea. I mean I thought I did understand the concepts at the time: The power of this moment right now; Live in the moment, and all that stuff... but I now realize I had no clue. It wasn't until just last month that a new light had been shed
upon this theory for me and it is beginning to change my life.

Do you listen to podcasts? Before last month, I never had listened to them... not even one. But then I heard about a series of podcasts led by Oprah and Eckhart Tolle about his book A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose. Within the first couple of sessions, I found my old copy of The Power of Now, blew off some dust, and cracked it open for a second read, over 15 years later. Although these podcasts are not specifically regarding this first book, the conversations shed a whole new light on the subject, and a completely new understanding, and awakening, for me.

For most of us, we have all wondered at some time or another, "what is my purpose in this lifetime?". These podcasts answer that... very clearly, I might add. Throughout this series of 10 podcasts, Eckhart is challenged time and time again by not only Oprah, but also by the callers' questions they take in the podcasts. Hearing Eckhart's description of his theories in his own voice in these situations has really resonated with me, and I highly encourage you to give them a listen.

I would love to have a grand discussion about these theories in this blog entry, but I am afraid that I would not be able to clearly and fully describe them in a way that you would understand without judgement. For example, even if you have heard about, and perhaps even read about, the "Law of Attraction" Eckhart's teaching takes this one step further... and it all makes so much sense, and it goes well beyond that.

I am nearing the end of The Power of Now (for the second time), but this time grasping it in a most profound way. I have already purchased his book that these podcasts are directly referring to, A New Earth: Awakening To Your Life's Purpose, and it is awaiting me.

Anyway, my goal with this blog entry is just to pique your interest, and not explain it. Trust me, Eckhart does this a lot better than I ever could... at this point anyway. Give this podcast series a try. They're free on whatever format you can get podcasts on, and you don't need to have the book on hand to follow along; I didn't. And if you ever want to have a conversation with me about this when we cross paths, I would love that. In the meantime, happy cooking (of course), but more importantly, happy living.


No comments: