Thursday, March 6, 2008

Garlic always tastes better from Fresh

Firstly, I must apologize for my lack of entries. I know it's not much of an excuse, but I have been very busy lately!

I am prompted to write this, because I was at a check-out yesterday of a local warehouse store when a gentleman approached the line-up with a large jar of chopped garlic in brine.
I know we all lead very busy lives, and this inexpensive solution seems to be very attractive especially since for less than $4, there is no peeling and/or chopping, but think about it... where's the flavour??!!

If you take any cut up vegetable (or fruit for that matter) and soak in brine for a year or more (or however long it sits like that until you buy it) most of the flavour is going to be transferred to the brine. You wouldn't buy asparagus this way, so why would you buy your garlic like this... I know, I know, there's more prep involved when preparing garlic for cooking than asparagus, but my point is flavour!

If you want your food to taste it's best, use fresh whenever, and as much as, possible!
As for the gentleman that approached the line-up... it was a great opportunity to pass him my business card and strike up a conversation about food - always interchange your Chef's hat with your Marketing hat as needed, I always say!

Happy Cooking...

No comments: