Sunday, October 2, 2016

Day 2 of 9 in Prince Edward Island

I was contemplating before I left for this trip whether I would be packing work-out clothes or not. I decided to bring them and that's where my day started: in the hotel fitness room! There was one tour guest that not only worked out as well, but was already in the gym when I arrived, and was still working out when I left. So if you think I'm dedicated, she's really the one that deserves your admiration. Good job Eva!

Today was a free day for our guests because of the long travel day we had yesterday to get here. Some took advantage of this and slept in and others just went about the day at their leisure. Lucky for us, today happened to be the day that Charlottetown hosts the annual "Farm in the City" street market with over 150 vendors commemorating the end of the Fall Flavours Festival.

After a complimentary breakfast at the hotel, I went strolling through the streets of Charlottetown as the market didn't start until 11am. There is a lot of history here and the architecture depicts that nicely. 
  

 
 
What a beautiful cathedral.

 
The old city hall building.

 
In my travels I stopped at Receiver Coffee for a cappuccino and people watched out the window.

 
Then the market started and the streets were filled people and vendors from all over the island: every kind of vendor that you could imagine from farmers to cheese makers, craft breweries, restaurants, etc.

 
Live music...

 
...and even an old fashioned Blacksmith that fanned the fire of his archaic forge with a hand crank fan.

 
 

Some of us met up together later at The Old Triangle pub for some pub grub and live Celtic music. The food here was amazing and the atmosphere made you feel like you were in the heart of Ireland. I would highly recommend this establishment to anyone. Great meals at great prices with friendly staff and a warm cozy pub feeling to it.

 
 
I started with a pint of Guinness, or what Patricia in our group calls it: "A Pint of the Priest" (she drank me under the table today, by the way).

 
Then I moved onto a second pint and some classic Bangers & Mash (the best I have ever had). This was a huge meal prepared very well and the price was only $14.

 
By the time I moved onto bread pudding for dessert (made in-house, huge, and incredible for only $7.95) accompanied with a glass of Tallisker scotch, Patricia had 3 pints of Guinness and a double Irish coffee! We were there for over 3 hours and enjoyed every minute of it. We are planning to go back there again on Thursday night. Once we rolled out of there we met up with other people in our group and after a quick freshen up we went to the Craddagh Oyster House for more food and drinks. Again, this is another place I would highly recommend for seafood. The mussels, prawns, scallops, and chowder were all amazing! 

Now I am back in my room at the hotel, reminiscing of our adventures of the day and the friendships we are forming, all the while thinking of the new day tomorrow that will bring us a new set of adventures and more memories to cherish.

Until next time... Happy Cooking!
Oh, and I thought I would also leave you with some random food shots of our evening at the Claddagh Oyster House. Enjoy:
 
 
 
 
 

No comments: